Nothing can beat the feeling of seeing first golden rays of sun falling on top of snowy mountains and then gradually spreading the warmth to all. The sun peeking behind the mountains with all its glory makes a mesmerizing sight for all wanderlusts like us.
What can you say about lazing in the beach with a cold beer in hand watching the sun lazily go down…!!. It is one of travel’s finest pleasures. There is nothing as captivating and beautiful as seeing the sun mounting the sky, and nothing as breathtaking to see the sun going down at the backdrop of a reddish-orange sky.
India has no dearth of places which offers a spectacular view of sunrise and sunsets. We select a few of our favourites which we have experienced as travellers. These are places worth visiting, visit them and we promise that you will be dazzled.
Table of Contents
- 1. Sunrise at Tiger Hill, Darjeeling
- 2. Sunset at Lepchakha, Buxa, West Bengal
- 3. Sunset at Ratnadurg Fort, Ratnagiri, Maharashtra
- 4. Sunrise and Sunset at Pangong Lake, Leh
- 5. Sunrise and Sunset at the Taj Mahal and Agra Fort, Agra
- 6. Sunrise at Jayanti river, Jayanti, West Bengal
- 7. Sunrise at Bedni Bugyal, on way to Roopkund, Uttarakhand
- 8. Sunrise at Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh
- 9. Sunset at Tajpur Beach, West Bengal
- 10. Sunset at Rambha, Chilka, Odisha
1. Sunrise at Tiger Hill, Darjeeling
The tiger Hill provides one of the best views of sunrise. At a height of 2600 m it is the highest peak near Darjeeling and provides a spectacular view of the Kanchanjungha ranges. Sunrise view from Kanchenjungha is an experience with the changing colours at the snowy mountain peaks. Naturally, it tops our list.
2. Sunset at Lepchakha, Buxa, West Bengal
Lepchakha is a small plateau surrounded by five hills. It provides one of the best sunset points. It is quite a reclusive place… you can just sit quietly and enjoy seeing the sun vanishing behind the mountains. The beauty of silence can be truly experienced here.
3. Sunset at Ratnadurg Fort, Ratnagiri, Maharashtra
The Ratnadurg Fort is surrounded by the Arabian Sea on three sides and thus an ideal place to view the sunset. The fort itself is now almost in ruins. There is a hillock just opposite the fort. You can trek upto its top and view the sunset in all its beauty. The picture below will speak for itself.
4. Sunrise and Sunset at Pangong Lake, Leh
Viewing the sunrise and sunset at the 14,470 ft is an experience of a lifetime. Just sit beside the lake and see the changing colours of the water as the sun rises and sets in. I promise, it will be a surreal experience that you will cherish forever.
5. Sunrise and Sunset at the Taj Mahal and Agra Fort, Agra
Taj Mahal is said to be one of the most romantic places in the world. And nothing can be more romantic than watching the sunrise and sunset at the Taj. When the first rays of sun hits the cold white marbles, the Taj Mahal glows; and you have no other option than to be mesmerized. Likewise, the sun setting behind the Agra Fort is also a spectacle which will leave an indelible impression in all the romantic hearts.
6. Sunrise at Jayanti river, Jayanti, West Bengal
You have seen sunrises at the seas, but sunrise can be equally beautiful by the river. It is really a fascinating experience to sit beside the river and see the sun rise slowly with the morning breeze kissing your cheeks.
7. Sunrise at Bedni Bugyal, on way to Roopkund, Uttarakhand
This one is for the Himalayan trekkers. Bedni Bugyal is one of the most beautiful campsites on the way to Roopkund. Early in the morning, watching the sun kissing the Trishul peak is simply mesmerizing. All your tiredness simply vanishes and you will be ready for the day’s journey.
8. Sunrise at Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh
Arunachal Pradesh experiences the first rays of sun in India. And so did we, from Tawang… and the feeling is quite overwhelming.
9. Sunset at Tajpur Beach, West Bengal
Tajpur is a perfect place for a weekend getaway. It offers a pristine beach and you can simply recline at the resort, have sea food and watch the sun as it sets. Nothing can be more relaxing than this.
10. Sunset at Rambha, Chilka, Odisha
Rambha is located at the southern part of Chilka lagoon in Odisha. Watching the sunset in midst of the huge Chilka lake is a unique experience.
These 10 are our favourites till now. Please help it increase by sharing your experiences with us.