Are you looking for travel quotes and travel captions for Instagram? You have come to the right place. Everyone needs a bit of motivation and inspiration now and then. Words have the power to make changes and shift perspectives. A wonderful travel quote is sometimes the best way to get inspired. We love to read travel quotes! The explorers and adventurers of yore have given us much food for thought in the form of best travel quotes, Instagram captions and inspirational travel quotes!
Here are some inspirational travel quotes about journey, adventure, friends and destinations and some famous travel quotes from movies. From explorers of the past to modern-day gurus, we have tried to cover a few of our favourite and best travel quotes. It might make you pack your bags and set out to see the world around you. For those who have already been bitten by the travel bug, some extra stimulation doesn’t hurt! Finally, even if not travel, these sayings might inspire you to come out of your comfort zone and do something that you are born to do!
And yes, you can use these awesome travel captions for Instagram as well!
Inspirational Travel Quotes & Captions for Instagram
1. When was the last time you did something for the first time. – John C. Maxwell
This travel quote inspires us to do all the crazy stuffs we have done. I am very scared of water. Agni simply inspires me with this quote before I go all out for any water sports. Before doing the scuba diving at Andaman, I was out of my wits. But I did it. Be it playing with the snow at Tsomgo Lake near Gangtok or shouting at top of our lungs at the Rupin Pass summit, we try to do things that we have not done before.
2. For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move. – Robert Louis Stevenson
Travel for the simple joy of it. Not for the reasons like peer pressure, getting the best social media posts or simply because everyone is doing so. There is a subtle joy in the journey. Travel without prejudice and without being judgmental.
3. Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world. – Gustave Flaubert
Only when you see the mighty mountains, the vastness of the seas and the magnanimity of nature, only then you can truly understand our place in the world. Travel has made us grow, it has made us grateful and humble – something no other thing could have done.
5. Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind. – Anthony Bourdain
This is perhaps one of the best quotes by Bourdain. It portrays all that is true about travelling without glorifying the glamour that is associated with travel these days. Travel is not about the perfect Instagram pictures where ladies sway around in their beautiful looking dresses and men looks perfect in with their six-pack abs. Travel is not only about taking the perfect sunset photos. Travel is not about glamour and fashion. Travel is anything but all these.
The photographs that you see everywhere are the best ones. Even this blog puts up only the best ones. But there are moments in travel that are not that great. There are long queues, missed flights, no sleep, dirty toilets and other mishaps. But whatever the experience is, good or bad, it shapes us into the person we are.
6. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.― Mark Twain
Yes, I had been waiting long for the perfect moment to do what I loved to. That moment actually never came until I realized that each moment is perfect for doing the thing I love. You just have to start off, begin the journey. Rest all will fall into place. This happens to be one of my favourite travel quotes.
7. And then there is the most dangerous risk of all — the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. – Randy Komisar
8. If you’re twenty-two, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel – as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them – wherever you go. – Anthony Bourdain
9. Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends. – Maya Angelou
10. We must go beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths and untrodden depths of the wilderness and travel and explore and tell the world the glories of our journey. – John Hope Franklin
11. Every man’s life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another. – Ernest Hemingway
12. All men dream, but no equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible. -T.E. Lawrence
13. I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world. – Mary Anne Radmacher
14. Travelling is brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends. You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things: air, sleep, dreams, sea, the sky – all things tending towards the eternal or what we imagine of it. – Cesare Pavese
15. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all of one’s lifetime. – Mark Twain
You cannot really sit at a corner and learn about the world and its people. Mark Twain has such great insight into travel and it shows in his quotes.
16. The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page. – Saint Augustine
17. When overseas you learn more about your own country than you do the place you’re visiting. – Clint Borgen
18. Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. – Ray Bradbury
Do not lose you sense of wonder. Marvel in the little joys of life. Not only it will mak you travel better, but also your life. Nothing can beat the thrill of travelling for us. We are happiest when we are travelling and exploring the world.
19. And then there is the most dangerous risk of all — the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. – Randy Komisar
20. There is freedom waiting for you, on the breezes of the sky. And you ask “What if I fall?” Oh but my darling, what if you fly? – Erin Hanson
21. The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. -Gilbert K. Chesterton
22. The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for a newer and richer experience. – Eleanor Roosevelt
23. Take the time to put the camera away and gaze in wonder at what’s there in front of you. – Erick Widman
The quote by Erick Widman is directed to all those who have forgotten the simple joys of travelling while trying to capture and document the destinations. Once in a while, put away the camera or phone, stop taking down notes, and simply soak in the place.
24. If we travel imply to indulge ourselves we are missing some of the greatest lessons life has to offer. – Unknown
25. Own only what you can always carry with you: know languages, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag. – Alexander Solzhenitsyn
26. Once the travel bug bites, there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life. ― Michael Palin
Best Travel Quotes Showing the Importance of Travel
27. We travel for romance, we travel for architecture, and we travel to be lost. – Ray Bradbury
28. Our happiest moments as tourists always seem to come when we stumble upon one thing while in pursuit of something else. — Lawrence Block
29. Life is short and the world is wide, the sooner you start exploring it, the better. – Simon Raven
30. The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes. – Marcel Proust
31. If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home. – James Michener
We totally agree with Michener. If we do not meet new people, reject their customs and traditions, we better remain at home. If e choose to live in our own castle, then it is no point in travelling to a new place. You can simply do that by a flick of a channel nowadays. We travel to meet new people, experience a new culture and taste various cuisine. And of course, in all our explorations, respect the people and their traditions.
Short Travel Quotes & Travel Captions for Instagram
32. Wherever you go, go with all your heart. – Confucius
33. Travelling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller. – Ibn Battuta
The famous Moroccan scholar and explorer had widely travelled the medieval. His thirty years of journey has been chronicled in A Gift to Those Who Contemplate the Wonders of Cities and the Marvels of Travelling.
While travelling, we are often wonderstruck at the beauty of the nature or cultural heritage of the place. There are times we think that that we can neither express these feelings by words, nor can capture the marvel on camera. But travelling has its own way of expression. It finds its way through the words of the traveller and we, ordinary people become extraordinary storytellers.
34. Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination. – Roy M. Goodman
35. The most beautiful in the world is, of course, the world itself. – Wallace Stevens
36. Jobs fill your pocket, but adventures fill your soul. – Jamie Lyn Beatty
37. The world makes way for the man who knows where he is going. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
38. To travel isto take a journey into yourself. – Danny Kaye
39. A good traveller has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. – Lao Tzu
40. The tans will fade, but the memories will last forever.
41. One travels more usefully when alone, because he reflects more. – Thomas Jefferson
42. It is not down in any map; true places never are. – Herman Melville
43. Exploration is really the essence of the human spirit. – Frank Borman
44. Travel expands the mind and fills the gap. – Sheda Savage
45. Time flies. It’s up to you to be the navigator. – Robert Orben
46. Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow. – Anita Desai
47. Good company in a journey makes the way seem shorter. – Izaak Walton
48. The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have – Anna Quindlen
49. All you need to know is that it’s possible. – Wolf, an Appalachian Trail Hiker
50. It feels good to be lost in the right direction. – Anonymous
51. Don’t listen to what they say. Go see. – Anonymous
52. The goal is to die with memories not dreams
53. Live your life by a compass not a clock. – Stephen Covey
54. Collect moments, not things. – Anonymous
55. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. – Lao Tzu
56. Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don’t be sorry. – Jack Kerouac
57. Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go. – T. S. Eliott
58. What is life but one grand adventure? – Unknown
59. Travel is never a matter of money, but of courage. – Paulo Coelho
We love this quote by Coelho. Well, money does make things easier and we need it to visit places. But even with all the money in the world we will not be able to travel if don’t have the courage to go out of our comfort zone.
59. It is better to travel well than to arrive. – Buddha
60. Backpacking is money spent on Education.
61. Veni Vidi Amavi. We came, we saw, we loved. – Roman proverb.
62. We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls. – Anais Nin
63. There are seven days in a week and “someday” isn’t one of them. – Benny Lewis
64. The journey, not the arrival matters. – T.S. Eliot
65. Spontaneity is what travel is all about. – Zach Anner
66. Live life with no excuses, travel with no regret. – Oscar Wilde
Oscar Wilde has summarized life and travel so well in this small line.
67. Travel far enough, you meet yourself. – David Mitchell
68. Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure. – Bob Bitchin
69. I’m in love. Again. How on earth do people pick a favourite travel spot? – Jen Malone.
70. The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper. – W.B. Yeats
71. I love to travel but hate to arrive. – Albert Einstein
Funny Travel Quotes
72. To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries. – Aldous Huxley
This is perhaps one of the most appropriate quote of current times. With so much political confusion and religious hatred all around, it is very easy to form an opinion about a place and its people. Travel, because it is by visiting the place, you will come to know how wrong an opinion you had of that country!
73. I always want to wear flip flops, but my boss doesn’t like it…guess, I’ve to travel then!
74. Girls don’t wait for the prince anymore, they pack and travel the world.
75. When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money. – Susan Heller
76. There are two kinds of travel: first class and with children. – Robert Benchley
77. I crossed a time zone and I feel younger already. If I keep traveling west, I can become immortal! – Jarod Kintz
78. You define a good flight by negatives: you didn’t get hijacked, you didn’t crash, you didn’t throw up, you weren’t late, you weren’t nauseated by the food. So you are grateful. – Paul Theroux
79. All you need is love a passport.
80. There is nothing safer than flying – it’s crashing that is dangerous. – Theo Cowan
81. Modern travelling is not travelling at all; it is merely being sent to a place and very little different from becoming a parcel. – John Ruskin
82. Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory. – Ed Viesturs
83. When travelling with someone, take large doses of patience and tolerance with your morning coffee. – Helen Hayes
Top Journey Quotes – Life is a journey after all!
84. If all difficulties were known at the outset of a long journey, most of us would never start out at all. – Dan Rather
85. All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveller is unaware. – Martin Buber
This is the motto that we follow while travelling. We do have a rough plan in mind, but we are always flexible. Who knows that there might be one more beauty just round the corner that is not written in the guidebooks? When we travelled to Nepal, we completely overhauled our travel itinerary only to see the BistekJatra and SindurJatra at Bhakatpur. And believe me, it was an amazing experience.
86. Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
87. A person susceptible to “wanderlust” is not so much addicted to movement as committed to transformation. – Pico Iyer
88. Travel doesn’t become adventure until you leave yourself behind. – Marty Rubin
89. What you’ve done becomes the judge of what you’re going to do — especially in other people’s minds. When you’re travelling, you are what you are right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road. – William Least Heat-Moon
90. Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey. – Babs Hoffman
If we had to worry about the mishaps that might happen on road, then we probably could never have travelled. Even when we started travelling together, I never used to worry much about what might happen on the road. The joy of discovering the new path, crazier experiences always made me excited before a trip. Hoffman has just hit the nail on head with this quote.
91. I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. – Mark Twain
93. Travelling’s not something you’re good at. It’s something you do. Like Breathing. – Gayle Foreman
94. You need not even listen, just wait…the world will offer itself freely to you, unmasking itself. – Franz Kafka
95. Take only memories, leave only footprints. – Chief Seattle
The quote by Seattle holds true even more nowadays. This one should be followed by all. Travelling is about making memories and not throwing your trash; Clean and green environment always helps
96. I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list. – Susan Sontag
Though we do not believe in lists, but we totally agree with Susan Sontag. We do not know whether we will be ever able to complete our list in this lifetime, but we do not lose hope. Given a chance, we will visit everywhere!
97. I’m in love with cities I’ve never been to and people I’ve never met. – John Green
John Green just resonates my feeling. Agni and I totally love to meet new people, talk to them and share life stories with each other.
98. I see my path, but I don’t know where it leads. Not knowing where I’m going is what inspires me to travel it. – Rosalia de Castro
99. I have loved her, my little wanderer, with a mind full of wild forests and eyes that await adventures. – Conny Cernik
Travel Quotes from Movies
100. Carpe Diem. Seize the Days boys. Make your lives extraordinary. – Dead Poets Society
101. Live moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. – Ferris Bueller, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
102. So, do you want to take a leap of faith, or become an old man, filled with regret, waiting to die alone. – Saito, Inception
103. You get only one life. Its actually your duty to live it as fully as possible. – Will Traynor, Me Before You
104. The core of man’s spirit comes from new experiences. – Christopher McCandless, Into the Wild
105. I think if you wanted to you could board the train. And where it would take me? On. – Dumbledore and Harry Potter, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
106. I didn’t know where I was going until I got there. – Cheryl Strayed, Wild
107. To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life. – Walter Mitty, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
108. I was amazed that what I needed to survive could be carried on my back. And most surprising of all, that I could carry it. – Wild
109. I would rather have 30 minutes of “wonderful” than a lifetime of nothing special. – Shelby, Steel Magnolias
110. Life is about courage and going into the unknown. – The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
111. As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was about to happen. – Winnie the Pooh
Winnie the Pooh just steals my heart with this quote. And I always keep telling this to Agni while reminiscing the first time we met!
112. I love waking up in the morning not knowing what’s gonna happen or who I’m gonna meet, where I’m gonna wind up. – Jack Dawson, Titanic
Some Other Famous Travel Quotes
113. Of all the books in the world, the best stories are found between the pages of a passport. – Unknown
114. If you want to succeed you should strike out new paths, rather than travel the worn paths of accepted success. – John D. Rockefeller
115. Adventure, yeah. I guess that’s what you call it when everybody comes back alive. – Mercedes Lackey
116. All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. – Walt Disney
117. The biggest adventure you can take is to live the life of your dreams. – Oprah Winfrey
118. Then one day, when you least expect it, the great adventure finds you. – Ewan McGregor
119. Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken. – Frank Herbert
120. I travel because it makes me realize how much I haven’t seen, how much I’m not going to see, and how much I still need to see. – Carew Papritz
121. He who does not travel does not know the value of men. – Moorish proverb
122. There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage. – Mark Twain
123. All travel has its advantages. If the passenger visits better countries, he may learn to improve his own. And if fortune carries him to worse, he may learn to enjoy it. – Samuel Johnson
124. To get away from one’s working environment is, in a sense, to get away from one’s self; and this is often the chief advantage of travel and change. – Charles Horton Cooley
125. A wise traveller never despises his own country. – William Hazlitt
126. I’ve always enjoyed traveling and having experience with different cultures and different people. But it’s also a wonderful thing to be able to benefit and enable research, not only in our country but around the world. – Laurel Clark
127. Once you have travelled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey. – Pat Conroy
128. You do not travel if you are afraid of the unknown, you travel for the unknown, that reveals you with yourself. – Ella Maillart
129. I am not a great cook, I am not a great artist, but I love art, and I love food, so I am the perfect traveller. – Michael Palin
130. Every perfect traveller always creates the country where he travels. – Nikos Kazantzakis
131. You get educated by travelling. – Solange Knowles
133. Travelling, you realize that differences are lost: each city takes to resembling all cities, places exchange their form, order, distances, a shapeless dust cloud invades the continents. – Italo Calvino
134. People travel to faraway places to watch, in fascination, the kind of people they ignore at home. – Dagobert D. Runes
134. I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train. – Oscar Wilde
135. Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. – Jack Kerouac
136. A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions. – Oliver Wendell Holmes
137. The more we travelled, the more we learnt new things. More boundaries were broken, horizons broaden. Once you have travelled, you cannot go back to the confined cubicle of yours.
138. The more I travelled the more I realized that fear makes strangers of people who should be friends. – Shirley MacLaine
139. Travel does what good novelists also do to the life of everyday, placing it like a picture in a frame or a gem in its setting, so that the intrinsic qualities are made more clear. Travel does this with the very stuff that everyday life is made of, giving to it the sharp contour and meaning of art. – Freya Stark
140. Travel like Gandhi, with simple clothes, open eyes and an uncluttered mind. – Rick Steves
141. I always wonder why birds stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth. Then I ask myself the same question. – Harun Yahya
142. Life is an experiment in which you may fail or succeed. Explore more, expect least. – Santosh Kalvar
143. We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. – T. S. Eliot
144. Travelling is like flirting with life. It’s like saying, “I would stay and love you, but I have to go; this is my station. – Lisa St. Aubin de Teran
145. I like different places. I like any places that isn’t here. – Edna Ferber
146. TRAVEL!! Before you run out of time…
147. Travel far enough to meet yourself – David Mitchell
148. An investment in travel is an investment into yourself – Matthew Karsten
149. Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer – Unknown
150. Cover the earth before it covers you. – Dagobert D. Runes
If you like these travel quotes, please share them and feel free to pin them. Share the inspiration! After all, we are all connected with each other for the love of travel!
Pin this for a later read!